Victim in Philadelphia package explosion deliberately targeted, police say

Katherine Scott Image
Tuesday, November 22, 2016
1 of 10
November 22, 2016: It happened around 4 a.m. Tuesday inside an apartment in the 1800 block of Pine Street in Center City Philadelphia.

CENTER CITY, Philadelphia -- Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross tells Action News the package that exploded early Tuesday morning injuring a man in Center City Philadelphia contained an "actual device" which appears to have been delivered specifically to target the victim.[br /][br /]Ross says investigators believe the device was "target specific," and that the incident was not an act of terrorism.[br /][Ads /][br /]The explosion happened around 4 a.m. Tuesday inside an apartment on the 1800 block of Pine Street.[br /][br /]Police say a 62-year-old man received the package around 5 p.m. Monday.[br /][media ID="1619655" /][br /]When he went to open the package containing some type of medicine early Tuesday morning, it exploded.[br /][br /]Ross said the device was delivered in a manila envelope, and that the recipient opened it believing it contained medicine.[br /][br /][twitter ID="801033372462182400[br /]" /][br /]The blast caused injuries to the victim's face, chest and hands.[br /][Ads /][br /]He was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital with chest and hand injuries. He is in stable condition.[br /][br /]Police say the explosion happened in the kitchen area of the apartment and damaged the oven range.[br /][br /]The man's roommate told police the victim does receive inhalers in the mail.[br /][br /]Police say there were no threats before or after the package exploded.[br /][br /][photo ID="1619581" /][br /][br /]Investigators are not certain if the device was placed at the man's residence or delivered via mail, Ross said.[br /][Ads /][br /]The ATF, Philadelphia bomb squad and postal inspectors are all involved in the investigation.[br /][br /]After the blast at least ten neighbors were evacuated as a precaution.[br /][br /]Residents were allowed back in their apartments once the scene was declared safe.[br /][br /]The 1800 block of Pine Street was expected to be closed for much of the day on Tuesday.[br /][br /][twitter ID="801005932889128960" /]