Natural Foods Chef Erin Stewart of DEFINEbody looks for the best nutrients for her body and the bodies of those she feeds. That's why she cooks often cooks with super foods.
"A super food is plant-based, mineral-rich, high in enzymes, most powerful food on the planet," Erin adds.
You can find some super foods at your regular grocery store and most at your health food store.
Here is their list of the BEST of the best (with a bonus recipe thrown in):
- High Vitamin C
- High beta-carotene
- High iron
- Improves mood
- Goji berries are a Chinese herbal berry that's been around for many years.
- It's so high in vitamin C, ounce per ounce more than an orange. More beta-carotene than a carrot and more iron than spinach.
- Goji berries are actually a really great snack. You can have them by themselves or put them in granola to add a little sweet, tart flavor to it.
- More omega fatty Acids than salmon
- High antioxidants
- Curbs appetite
- Balances blood sugar
- Chia seeds are from plants in South America
Chia Seed Pudding (Yield: 4)
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 3 cups nut milk (we used help milk)
- 4 tbsp agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
Combine the chia seeds, milk, agave, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir well, so there are no clumps. Let it sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid clumps.
To serve, add fruit or nuts of your choice or eat straight from the bowl. Cover and refrigerate to store. Will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- High protein content
- Easy for kidneys to digest
- High in B12
- Boosts energy
- Rich in antioxidants
- Spirulina is a blue/green algae.
- It's the only plant source for B12, which is kind of rare.
- Although it doesn't have a ton of flavor, it has a ton of natural nutrient benefits. So adding it to a salad is really going to take it to the next level of a super food.
- Plant-based protein
- Easy to digest
- High in omega fatty acids
- You can sprinkle it on just about anything.
- High in iron
- High in iodine
- Salt replacement
- Heart healthy
- Comes in many forms
- Kelp is actually brown algae, which is high in minerals.
- Used by Incan Warriors
- An "Adaptogen" -- fights disease
- Boosts stamina
- Fights fatigue
- Libido boost
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices