5 taken to hospital for possible carbon monoxide poisoning in Morris County, N.J.

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Thursday, October 15, 2015

MORRIS TOWNSHIP, N.J. (WABC) -- Five people were taken to the hospital in Morris County, New Jersey, Thursday after they were apparently overcome by carbon monoxide.

It happened at the Twin Oaks Tennis and Fitness Center on Columbia Road in Morris Township.

Initial reports indicated two males had passed out from cleaning chemicals. Responding officers found one male unresponsive, while two other males were experiencing difficulty breathing.

Emergency medical personnel from the Morris Township Fire Department, Morris Minute Men First Aid Squad, Cedar Knolls First Aid, and paramedics from Morristown Medical Center responded to the scene.

The three patients were transported to Morristown Medical Center for further evaluation and treatment.

Although the investigation is still active, initial indications are that the three patients were contractors hired to clean a bathroom inside the tennis center. While using a power washer inside the enclosed bathroom, it is believed that the three were overcome by carbon monoxide produced by the gasoline-powered device.

Two other people who were at the complex were also taken to the hospital.

None of the injuries are believed to be life threatening.

A triage center was established on scene by EMS and Morris County OEM to evaluate the occupants of the facility.