1 officer dead, 1 injured after shooting in parking garage at Philadelphia International Airport

WPVI logo
Friday, October 13, 2023
1 officer dead after shooting at Philly airport parking garage
One Philadelphia police officer is dead and another was injured after a shooting in a parking garage at the Philadelphia International Airport.

PHILADELPHIA -- One Philadelphia police officer is dead and another is injured after a shooting took place in a parking garage at the Philadelphia International Airport on Thursday night.

Police say it happened just after 11 p.m. as the two officers were coming into work at parking garage D at the airport.

At the scene, the officers observed multiple suspects attempting to break in to nearby vehicles. When the officers intervened, the suspects opened fire, according to Interim Commissioner John Stanford.

The first officer was hit multiple times in the upper body and the other was struck in the arm.

The officer who was shot multiple times was transported to Penn Presbyterian Hospital for treatment, where he was later pronounced dead.

Officials have not yet released the officer's identity, but stated he was 50 years old with over 20 years on the force. He also leaves behind a spouse and child.

The second officer was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive. The officer is 60 years old and also has over 20 years on the force.

Sources say a Dodge Durango was somehow involved in the shooting and dropped off an 18-year-old man with gunshot wounds at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

The 18-year-old was pronounced dead at the hospital. Police have not yet officially connected the 18-year-old to the gunfire in the parking garage.

That Dodge Durango was later found torched in New Jersey, sources tell sister station Action News. It was not immediately clear where it was found.

This investigation is active and ongoing. No further information has been released.

"This is a numb, numb moment for us to again encounter something like this," said Stanford. "We just had three officers shot last week."

Two separate Philadelphia police officers were also involved in a car crash while responding to this shooting.

It happened just before 12:30 a.m. Friday at the intersection of 48th Street and Baltimore Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia.

Both are said to be in stable condition. No information has been released on what led to the collision.

Terminal D was temporarily closed for the investigation but has since reopened. The Terminal D and E parking garage at the airport remain closed, however.


* Get Eyewitness News Delivered

* Follow us on YouTube

* More local news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.