19-year-old woman on electric scooter killed in hit-and-run in Queens

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Friday, October 18, 2019
19-year-old woman on electric scooter killed in hit-and-run in Queens
Tim Fleischer reports on the deadly hit-and-run in Queens.

JAMAICA, Queens (WABC) -- A man is under arrest after a 19-year-old woman was killed while riding an electric scooter over the weekend.

The incident was reported on Rockaway Boulevard just before midnight on Saturday.

When first responders arrived the scene, they discovered 19-year-old Eternity Stevens lying in the road with head trauma. She was taken to the hospital and died from her injuries on Tuesday.

Police said that 55-year-old Charles Fleming was speeding when he reportedly struck the back of the scooter.

Stevens and her 23-year-old passenger Latoya Breary were thrown from the scooter. Breary was taken to the hospital with a fractured pelvis, but is said to be stable.

The crash occurred as the pair were heading home to Far Rockaway. "They were coming back from her big sister's job at JFK and they were riding the scooter back home and the driver, he came through and hit her, hit them," said Eternity's stepbrother Lawrence Upson.

Authorities say Fleming did not stop after the incident and was later taken into custody not far from the accident scene by the Nassau County Police Department.

He was arrested on multiple charges including leaving the scene of an accident causing injury, vehicular assault and driving while intoxicated.

In court documents, he is said to have told police, "A motorcycle hit my car on the front right passenger side. I didn't stop because I didn't see the motorcycle anymore and I figured he took off."

He went on to say, "I didn't call police because I never saw the other vehicle after the accident."

Upson said he can't believe he didn't stop. "If you know you hit something I would say get out of the car and check and see what you hit," he said. "Because in this case it was a person. It was two people."

Eternity was in a coma and on life support at Jamaica Hospital for three days until she died on Tuesday.


* More Queens news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

*Follow us on YouTube