NEW YORK (WABC) -- Authorities responded to a natural gas leak that forced the evacuations of some Staten Island residents Sunday morning.
A 911 call came in at about 8:07 a.m. for a strong odor of natural gas detected at 18 Maplewood Place near Hylan Boulevard in the Midland Beach section.
At least 18 homes on the street were evacuated by the FDNY.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded along with crews from National Grid.
Gas service was shut off after about two hours and the evacuees were allowed to return to their homes.
A city bus was sent to the scene to provide temporary shelter to the affected residents. There were no reports of injuries.
National Grid said crews completed repairs to the gas main by 1 p.m. Crews will go to each house and inspect the gas facilities.
* More Staten Island news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Gas leak forces evacuation of residents on street in Staten Island
More TOP STORIES News