Arrest in Jersey City hit and run

June 23, 2009 4:15:32 PM PDT
An arrest has been made in last week's brutal hit and run accident in New Jersey. The young man arrested faced new charges during a court appearence on Tuesday, while the victim remained in critical condition. His family says he is fighting for his life.

"On June 13, the life of Ricardo Torres and his family were forever changed by a senseless and brutal accident that left him for dead and left us questioning humanity," Juan Cartagena said.

The family came to court to see 19-year old Anthony Pane, who is now facing serious charges.

Video from surveillance cameras shows 52-year oldm Torres standing at the corner of Marin Boulevard and Sixth Street when he is suddenly struck by a dark pickup truck. The driver sped off without stopping.

Pane surrendered to police 10 days later, and then was released on 50-thousand dollars bail.

"He wanted to make sure his father was not put into jeopardy. His father owns the vehicle," defense attorney Daniel Welsh explained.

In court, prosecutors added a more serious charge of aggravated assault by auto along with leaving the scene of an accident and endangering an injured victim.

The Torres family says the arrest is important and they are looking for justice. Their concern, though, is with their loved one who has lost a kidney and spleen and suffered multiple fractures. He remains in a drug-induced coma.

"Our only priority right now is not retribution. It is the healing and prayer necessary to restore the health of our beloved Ricardo Torres. Our prayers are with him. Always," his cousin, Juan Cartagena, said.


NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS

USEFUL LINKS:
  • VIEWER PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

  • REPORT TYPO

  • GET WIDGET

  • EYEWITNESS TWITTER

  • FIND US ON FACEBOOK



  • Load Comments