Texting wrecks kill 95 NY teens in 5 years

October 4, 2009 2:31:37 PM PDT
Sen. Charles Schumer says nearly 100 teenagers have died in texting-while-driving accidents in the last five years in New York City and on Long Island. The New York Democrat released the tally Sunday, using federal Department of Transportation statistics on accidents in which the driver was found to be texting behind the wheel. Nearly half the deaths were on Long Island.

Schumer has proposed to require all states to ban texting while driving. In New York, a ban takes effect Nov. 1.

The Obama administration said last week it would seek to ban text messaging by interstate bus drivers and truckers and would push states to pass their own laws against driving cars while distracted.

      QUICK HEADLINES | NEW YORK NEWS | GET NEWSLETTERS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABC 7 SOCIAL NETWORKING
Find us on Facebook® | Follow us on Twitter
More social networking
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORE FROM ABC 7
ABC 7 widget | Most popular stories | Street-level weather
Mobile Alerts | Report Typos | See News? Tell Eyewitness news
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Load Comments