NJ apt. complex evacuated due to carbon monoxide

New Jersey news from Eyewitness News

December 4, 2011 1:20:31 PM PST
Two residents were hospitalized after high carbon monoxide levels forced officials to evacuate a northern New Jersey apartment complex.

Firefighters went to the West Terrace Apartments, a six-unit complex in Teaneck, after a carbon monoxide detector there was activated around 5:40 a.m.

They soon determined that a malfunctioning boiler was causing high levels of carbon monoxide, so they ordered residents to leave their units while the boiler was shut down.

Two residents were taken to a hospital for treatment of undisclosed injuries, while several others declined medical attention at the scene.

Officials say all residents should be able to return to their units by Sunday afternoon.