Arrest made after grandmother pushed onto subway tracks in Brooklyn

WABC logo
Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Man charged with attempted murder after grandmother pushed onto tracks
Luis Hernandez, 38, was arrested and charged with assault and attempted murder in connection to the crime.

CLINTON HILL, Brooklyn (WABC) -- An arrest has been made after a grandmother was pushed onto the subway tracks in Brooklyn last month.

Luis Hernandez, 38, was arrested and charged with assault and attempted murder in connection to the crime.

The incident was reported Oct. 19 on the C train platform at the Clinton-Washington subway station.

A 30-year-old man was beaten by the suspect after he asked to put out the cigarette. During the assault, the victim's grandfather was also injured and his 73-year-old grandmother was pushed onto the tracks.

It all started when Henry Cheng and his grandparents were headed back to Manhattan following a doctor's visit. He later spoke from his hospital room about the injuries he suffered.

Naveen Dhaliwal interviews the grandson of a 73-year-old woman who was pushed onto subway train tracks on Monday.

"I'm having a plate installed in my upper jaw to reconnect it to this area of my face because this whole part is broken," he said.

He is left with broken bones and deep bruises after an encounter with a man on the southbound Clinton-Washington A-C subway platform.

He explained what happened after he asked the man to put out his cigarette.

RELATED | 73-year-old woman pushed onto train tracks during dispute on Brooklyn subway platform

"Next thing I knew I got hit in the face and my head started spinning," he said.

His grandfather tried to intervene and was also attacked.

"He suffered a blow to the back of the head when he fell," Cheng said.

But the most difficult for Cheng was seeing his helpless grandmother trying to stop the irate man before she was thrown onto the tracks as a train was approaching.

Cheng and others around him worked fast.

"If I had hesitated anymore to let her run to the express tracks, I'm 99% sure she would've been hit," Cheng said.

His grandmother was critically injured and spent three days in ICU and is still recovering in the hospital.

"She doesn't recognize my uncle, her son, or my grandfather, she can't really speak, she is still in pain," Cheng said.

He said hearing those details is painful for him as well, but he learned a big lesson this week.

"I have realized this is not the right time to say things to people, you don't know how people will react," Cheng said.

ALSO READ | Comic with viral subway impersonation records own messages

Kemberly Richardson reports on the comic getting to hear herself on the subway for the first time.


* More Brooklyn news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a News Tip