FORDHAM, Bronx (WABC) -- Police are investigating New York City's latest slashing after a Dunkin' Donuts worker was allegedly attacked by a homeless man who was sleeping inside the Bronx shop.
Authorities say the 34-year-old victim and her husband, who own and manage the East Kingsbridge Road store in the Fordham section, asked the man to leave multiple times around 5:30 a.m.
The man, who is also accused of harassing customers, finally agreed and left. But police say he returned a short time later with a razor blade.
He allegedly reached in the walk-up window and slashed the woman, identified as 34-year-old Daxa Patl, on the right side of her face.
She sustained a deep gash and was rushed to North Central Bronx Hospital, where doctors closed the facial wound with seven stitches.
"I feel bad, I feel bad for her," area worker Roger Mahmood said. "She's a good lady. I've been working here for one year. Nice lady. It's hard. It's tough."
Responding officers were flagged down by passersby and took 31-year-old Ronald Thompson into custody.
He was charged with assault and criminal possession of a weapon. He reportedly has multiple prior arrests for assault, selling drugs, fare beating and criminal mischief.
"We are very concerned about it because on January 4, we had something very similar in the Bronx at a McDonald's, where a young man was murdered, a homeless person sleeping inside a restaurant," NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said. "So we would encourage anybody in the restaurant business or a commercial location to immediately call the police if you have this issue, and not to address it by yourselves."
The latest slashing has neighborhood residents searching for answers.
"I'm curious, why now?" Alison Lehner-Quam said. "What's behind it? Why are we seeing more of it now? And i'm very concerned."
There has been a recent series of slashing incidents across the city. Here is information about the others:
* 2/29 | Clinton Hill, Brooklyn | Homeless man slashes man who woke him up in Brooklyn subway station, police say
* 2/28 | Chelsea, Manhattan | 2 men slashed after argument outside Chelsea nightclub
* 2/22 | Harlem, Manhattan | Woman slashed in face during robbery
* 2/21 | Williamsbridge, Bronx | NYPD officer slahsed while responding to fight
* 2/21 | Morrisania, Bronx | Man slashed in face while walking on street
* 2/18 | SoHo, Manhattan | Man slashed in face during attempted robbery
* 2/17 | Greenwich Village, Manhattan | Server needs 120 stitches after slashing
* 2/16 | Washington Heights, Manhattan | Cab driver slashed in face during fare dispute
* 2/12 | Van Nest, Bronx | 20-year-old woman robbed, slashed while walking home
* 2/7 | East Tremont, Bronx | Man slashed in cheek after dispute at subway station
* 2/2 | Williamsburg, Brooklyn | 18-year-old slashed while walking home
* 2/2 | Parkchester, Bronx | 65-year-old businessman slashed during robbery
* 2/2 | Harlem, Manhattan | Man slashed in face during attempted robbery
* 1/31 | Harlem, Manhattan | Man slashed during attempted robbery on C train
* 1/25 | NoHo, Manhattan | 71-year-old woman slashed while riding D train
* 1/16 | East Village, Manhattan | 30-year-old man slashed while walking down the street
* 1/14 | East Tremont, Bronx | Man gets 100+ stitches after slashing attack
* 1/6 | Chelsea, Manhattan | 24-year-old woman slashed while walking to work
* 12/30 | East Side, Manhattan | Employee, customer slashed inside McDonald's
* 12/16 | Crown Heights, Brooklyn | Man slashed in the face coming out of subway station
* 12/16 | Whitestone, Queens | 16-year-old exchange student slashed in throat
* 11/5 | Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn | 2 slashed in head aboard C train
Homeless man allegedly slashes Bronx Dunkin' Donuts owner in city's latest attack
More TOP STORIES News