Firefighter injured in Staten Island house fire

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Monday, August 15, 2022
FDNY firefighter remains intubated for throat burns
An FDNY firefighter remains intubated for throat burns after a fire on Staten Island.

BULLS HEAD, Staten Island (WABC) -- A New York firefighter was injured while battling a house fire on Staten Island Friday.

The flames broke just before 8:30 p.m. on the second floor of a three-story home on Gary Court in the Bulls Head section.

"We found a very difficult fire condition, fire blowing out the windows, up above the roof. They had a tenant that they rescued out of the third floor," Acting Deputy Chief Kevin Jackson said.

It took about an hour for firefighters to get the flames under control.

Police said the firefighter suffered injuries to both his neck and face and remained intubated on Saturday.

The firefighter was injured while climbing a staircase -- the space was cramped, so he lost his grip on a hose.

Another person suffered a minor injury.

A faulty power strip sparked the fire.

There were smoke detectors in the home, so all the residents were able to get out safely.

ALSO READ | Illegal pool with 60 tons of water discovered on rooftop in Williamsburg

The NYC Department of Buildings had to remove a 480 square foot pool built on a roof in Williamsburg.


* More Staten Island news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.