Several treated after CO exposure

July 24, 2008 2:07:20 PM PDT
Three people had to be hospitalized and about 20 needed medical attention after a carbon monoxide incident in Riverdale Thursday.Authorities say EMS teams were called to 3220 Valentine Avenue just after noon because of a report of fumes.

They treated several victims and took three people to Jacobi Hospital for further evaluation and treatment. As many as 40 occupants of the building were temporarily evacuated as firefighters vented it to reduce the CO levels.

Officials say the fumes were created by a gas-powered pressure washer being used by construction workers in a sub-basement of the building. The building is still under construction.

Those injured and evacuated were not residents, according to authorities. They were reportedly construction workers, sales people and other employees of the building.

---

WEB PRODUCED BY: Bill King


Load Comments