Search resumes for missing NYC swimmer

August 4, 2009 3:48:04 PM PDT
Divers resmued their search Tuesday morning for a young man who vanished at Jacob Riis Park in Queens.Eyewitness News is told the missing man is just a week away from his 22nd birthday.

Fire department divers took a beating on Monday night, but are back at the search, looking for a young man who vanished off the treacherous waters off the Rockaways.

This all happened around 8 p.m. Monday.

Police say 21-year-old Anthony Bolden, of Brooklyn, plunged into the water off Jacob Riis Park after spotting a friend struggling to reach the shore.

That friend, Jacob Reid, finally crawled back to the sand, only to learn that his rescuer had not made it.

Helicopters could not spot Bolden.

Divers say the search was extremely difficult because of rough surf.

Meanwhile, to the east, along beach 6 at Jones Beach, a man and a woman were caught in the tide more than 100 feet from shore.

"There have been some rough conditions over the last week or so," said George Gorman, Deputy Regional Director of NYS Parks.

A woman heard their screams and was able to pull the woman to safety.

But by the time the lifeguards pulled the man out of the water, he had died.


MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS

USEFUL LINKS:
SEND TIP OR PHOTO  || REPORT TYPO ||  GET WIDGET

 EYEWITNESS TWITTER ||  FIND US ON FACEBOOK


Load Comments