New trial for NJ man convicted in 1983 murders

The News Leader

February 26, 2010 5:23:23 PM PST
A federal appeals court has ordered a new trial for a New Jersey man convicted in a double murder more than 20 years ago. The Third Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that Anthony Alongi's rights were violated because he wasn't allowed to represent himself at his trial. The court said prosecutors must retry him within 90 days or release him.

Alongi is the second person convicted of killing a Florida couple at the New Jersey shore in 1983 to be granted relief by the courts. Paul Kamienski spent more than 20 years in prison but was released last year after a court ruled the evidence wasn't sufficient to convict him.

A third man convicted of the murders died in prison.

The Ocean County Prosecutor's Office said it is reviewing the matter.


Load Comments