The fire started inside the "Old Country Animal Clinic" in Plainview Sunday morning.
Firefighters had to restrain the clinic's veterinarian who tried to rush into the burning building to save the animals.
At least two dogs, seven birds and a rabbit died from smoke inhalation.
Rescuers were able to save some animals, including two dogs.
A power outage in the area may have played a role in starting the fire.
A fire wall kept the flames from spreading to the neighboring deli, and the rest of the strip mall.