Man survives house explosion on Long Island

May 5, 2011 2:39:47 PM PDT
A man on Long Island is seriously injured after his house exploded all while he was trying to do some handy-work.

He was apparently trying to repair the dryer in his Syosset home when something went terribly wrong. Neighbors said the victim was begging for help inside.

Authorities say 48-year-old Brian Welsh was seriously burned and likely in shock.

Around noon he'd been in the basement reportedly cleaning his gas clothes dryer when something caused a spark and blew up his house.

Welsh lives in the home with his wife and three kids.

But fortunately, no one else was home. And Welsh's burns are not life threatening.

Now, the gas company is investigating the source of the explosion as family members spent the afternoon recovering two birds and loads of family photos.

Do you have something to add to this story? Click here to contact Eyewitness News.

Load Comments