• WEATHER ALERT Winter Weather Advisory

Boy dies after choking on meatball in lunchroom

December 19, 2011 1:42:09 PM PST
A mother is devastated and grieving the death of her son after her 9-year old choked on a meatball at school and died last week.

Now his mother is hoping changes will be made at the school to handle emergencies so nobody else has to lose a child.

"My child was the most important thing to me in my life. He was all that I have," said Angela Jewth, the Jonathan's mother.

All Angela Jewth had is gone. The sweet boy behind a shy smile lost his life in a way that his mother still can't comprehend.

"He was having his lunch and he choked on a meatball," Jewth said.

School officials say 9-year-old Jonathan Jewth choked on a meatball as he finished his lunch on December 5th at PS 47 in the Bronx.

They explained that the principal, a parent, a teacher, and a nurse all came to his aid. They tried everything from the Heimlich maneuver to CPR to using a defibrillator, before Jonathan was rushed to Jacobi Medical Center.

After a week in intensive care, he was taken off of life support. His mother says that not enough was done to save her only child.

"Whoever tried with Jonathan, they weren't trained well enough, they didn't know what they were doing," Jewth said.

Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts

Load Comments