No injuries were reported in the early Sunday morning blast that the News Times of Danbury reports blew out windows in a meeting hall.
State environmental officials say the car settled on top of the propane tank and has been removed. The remaining propane is being flared off.
First Selectman Mark Lyon told the newspaper that a caterer's vehicle drove across the lawn and sheared off the gas tank's filler pipe. He says the driver used a fire alarm to call for help and got other members of the catering staff outside the building before the explosion.
The hall had been rented for a wedding Saturday evening.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered