Police say baby died after ingesting liquid nicotine

ABCNews logo
Thursday, December 11, 2014

FORT PLAIN, N.Y. -- Police said a Mohawk Valley toddler has died after he swallowed liquid nicotine, the chemical used in electronic cigarettes.

Police in the village of Fort Plain tell media outlets that emergency workers were called to a home shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday.

They found a 1-year-old boy unconscious. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Authorities are calling it a tragic accident. Police said they don't expect any charges to be filed, but called it an ongoing investigation.

Liquid nicotine, which is used in e-cigarettes, is legal in New York, and is considered highly toxic. Right now,containers holding the liquid are not required to be child-proof. New York lawmakers are pushing for tighter regulations as a bill is pending to become a law. The New York State Assembly and Senate have already passed a bill requiring child resistant containers on liquid nicotine.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo is expected to sign it within the next few weeks.