Fire erupts on ride Keansburg Amusement Park in NJ; photo shows black smoke

ByMike Waterhouse WABC logo
Monday, August 24, 2015
(Image courtesy Sara Lucas)
Image courtesy Sara Lucas

KEANSBURG, N.J. (WABC) -- A ride caught fire at an amusement park in New Jersey Monday afternoon, sending billowing black smoke into the air.

The fire broke out on the Gravitron ride at Keansburg Amusement Park in Keansburg just before 2 p.m. Monday.

Katie Johnson, spokeswoman for the park, said the ride operator was testing the ride as they were opening the park, smelled something burning and immediately shut the ride down. When a fire started, the ride operator notified a mechanic and the fire department was called.

A photo from Eyewitness News viewer Alexis Seitz shows dark black smoke billowing up above the ride.

And here's another photo:

The fire began in an electrical panel and spread to the rest of the ride, officials said.

It was quickly extinguished, but the Gravitron ride was damaged in the fire.

No one was hurt in the fire.

When you see breaking news happen, send us your photos or video via Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #abc7ny.