MIDWOOD, Brooklyn (WABC) -- A spa in Brooklyn will remain closed Thursday after five people were hospitalized after two cleaning chemicals were mixed together.
Officials say 20 people were inside the World Spa on McDonald Avenue just after 10 p.m. Wednesday.
Employees accidentally combined two cleaning agents that apparently should not be mixed together, authorities said. It created a noxious cloud of chlorine.
Officials say employees at this "urban bathhouse" were quickly overcome by chlorine-type fumes, and experienced symptoms like dizziness and difficulty breathing.
The huge, 50,000-square-foot luxury spa was evacuated. It opened just four months ago.
The five people transported to Coney Island Hospital were all treated and released.
FDNY left the doors open to the World Spa early Thursday morning to ventilate the space after the dangerous HAZMAT situation.
World Spa released the following statement:
"We were deeply concerned by the incident that occurred at our spa in Brooklyn on Wednesday night. Our first priority is the safety and well-being of our customers and team. Because of the strict health and safety protocols we have in place, we acted quickly, contacting all relevant authorities to assess and address the situation. Our team fully cooperated with emergency services to ensure all affected staff received necessary medical attention. The incident occurred after the spa was closed, and no customers were affected. Upon inspection, all relevant agencies determined that the spa was safe to reopen. However, out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to stay closed for the day to ensure that our employee's needs are being met."
ALSO READ | Report finds 50% of working-age New Yorkers don't earn enough to meet basic needs
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News