WILLIAMSBRIDGE, Bronx (WABC) -- An NYPD officer was slashed while responding to a fight in Brooklyn Sunday.
Officers assigned to Patrol Borough Brooklyn North's anti-crime team, in plainclothes, responded to a large dispute at Saratoga Avenue and Marion Street in Brownsville around 1:22 a.m.
They discovered a large group involved in a physical dispute, and while attempting to take police action, a 37-year-old female officer was slashed in the face and neck, receiving superficial wounds from a suspect with a box cutter.
The officer was taken to Methodist Hospital in stable condition and did not require stitches.
Xiomara Velez, 27, was charged with assault on a police officer, menacing, resisting arrest and criminal possession of a weapon.
The box cutter was recovered at the scene.
There has been a recent series of slashing incidents across the city. Here is information about the others:
* 2/20-2/21 | The Bronx | Woman, 2 men stabbed in 3 weekend attacks in the Bronx
* 2/18 | SoHo, Manhattan | Suspect's picture released after SoHo slashing
* 2/17 | Greenwich Village, Manhattan | Server needs 120 stitches after slashing
* 2/16 | Washington Heights, Manhattan | Cab driver slashed in face during fare dispute
* 2/12 | Van Nest, Bronx | 20-year-old woman robbed, slashed while walking home
* 2/7 | East Tremont, Bronx | Man slashed in cheek after dispute at subway station
* 2/2 | Williamsburg, Brooklyn | 18-year-old slashed while walking home
* 2/2 | Parkchester, Bronx | 65-year-old businessman slashed during robbery
* 2/2 | Harlem, Manhattan | Man slashed in face during attempted robbery
* 1/31 | Harlem, Manhattan | Man slashed during attempted robbery on C train
* 1/25 | NoHo, Manhattan | 71-year-old woman slashed while riding D train
* 1/16 | East Village, Manhattan | 30-year-old man slashed while walking down the street
* 1/14 | East Tremont, Bronx | Man gets 100+ stitches after slashing attack
* 1/6 | Chelsea, Manhattan | 24-year-old woman slashed while walking to work
* 12/30 | East Side, Manhattan | Employee, customer slashed inside McDonald's
* 12/16 | Crown Heights, Brooklyn | Man slashed in the face coming out of subway station
* 12/16 | Whitestone, Queens | 16-year-old exchange student slashed in throat
* 11/5 | Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn | 2 slashed in head aboard C train
NYPD statistics show a nearly 20 percent spike in stabbings and slashings citywide in 2016 compared with the same period last year.
NYPD officer slashed while breaking up fight in Brooklyn
More TOP STORIES News