Carmelo Anthony plans to attend USA Basketball's minicamp in Las Vegas next month to state his availability for the 2016 Rio Olympics, according to multiple reports, but the Knicks star is not expected to participate in any on-court activities.
The Knicks acknowledged in an email to the New York Daily News that they were aware of Anthony's plans and were OK with the All-Star forward attending the camp.
Anthony, who is entering the second year of his five-year, $124 million contract with the Knicks, underwent knee surgery in February and was expected to miss up to six months before resuming basketball activities. That timeline would allow for Anthony to return to the court in late August.
The New York Post was first to report Anthony's plan to attend the Team USA minicamp.
USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo told ESPN last month that the minicamp would serve as a "reunion" for former Team USA players but also stressed that attendance was mandatory for those interested in securing a spot for next summer's Olympic roster.
Colangelo told ESPN that the minicamp would includetwo days of noncontact workouts and "an all-star game of sorts" on Aug. 13 that will feature the various marquee players in attendance who are healthy enough to play.
ESPN.com's Marc Stein contributed to this report.
Carmelo Anthony to attend Team USA minicamp
More TOP STORIES News