100 evacuated from Washington Heights building due to carbon monoxide

WABC logo
Tuesday, February 3, 2015

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS (WABC) -- More than 100 people were evacuated from a six-story building in Washington Heights due to a high carbon monoxide level.

Around 10 p.m. in the 600 block of West 163rd Street, the fire department said a burning Con Edison cable in a nearby manhole caused the carbon monoxide leak inside the building.

Five people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide levels were returning to normal this morning

There's no word when residents will be allowed back inside the building.