Earth day is next week, April 22nd. Joining us this morning with toys that are eco-friendly and teach our children lessons on going green is Julie Livingston of the toy industry association.
Enviro-Blox (Cadaco Toys) - www.cadaco.com
Bio-degradable building activity for children.
They're completely safe and environmentally friendly - made from cornstarch instead of plastic or oils.
Simply moisten a block with water and press together for a firm, instant hold.
Enviro-Blox are reusable - store them in the plastic bag packaging to reduce waste!
When it's time to discard used Enviro-Blox, simply put them in the sink, turn on the faucet and they will disappear!
Great way to help children as young as 3 understand the importance of being environmentally conscious.
3 + Different sizes - from $4.99 to $14.99
SEE Toys (Zen Design Group) - www.zendesigngroup.com
SEE Toys is the first eco-friendly electronic toy line that lets kids experience the lights and sounds of an electronic toy, with no batteries required!
Inside each toy is a patented power-generating motor. Kids turn the crank on the outside of the toy, activating the power generating motor, which then feeds electricity into a set of internal rechargeable batteries. 60 seconds of cranking yields 15 minutes of light and sound.
SEE Toys Dynacar has super bright LED headlights and taillights, and makes 6 realistic car sounds. The free-moving wheels encourage active, imaginative play.
Disposable batteries contribute more than 72,000 tons of landfill waste in the U.S. each year
SEE Toys packaging is made of recycled material, including recycled ink, and is treated with a water varnish
Other products in the line include a firefly, dolphin, shark and tiger
5+ yrs Price: $14.99
Monopoly: Planet Earth Edition (USAOPOLY) - www.usaopoly.com
Environmentally conscious board game for the entire family that's based on the award-winning BBC television series, Planet Earth.
Animals from around the globe such as a penguin, leopard and kangaroo, are cast in pewter to serve as the game pieces.
The Community Chest and Chance cards are replaced with customized cards that direct players to: Advance to the Tibetan Plateau and other far-off destinations.
The board spaces and title deeds feature exotic places, natural resources and animals.
Available Fall 2008
Barbie Bcause (Mattel) - www.mattel.com
This spring, Mattel is excited to introduce Barbie? BCause, a limited edition accessories collection that makes an environmental statement to the world!
The Barbie? BCause collection reuses and repurposes excess fabric and trimmings from other Barbie® doll fashions and products to create fashionable and playful handbags, coin purses, wallets, tote bags and diaries. Each is unique and features one-of-a-kind variations, giving extra meaning and extra style to what was once just extra fabric.
The collection features on-trend styling combined with kitschy patchwork details that eco-conscious girls love!
BCause - it's a cause to believe in. And, BCause being environmentally-friendly is the right thing to do.
$4.99 to $19.99 Available now
Planetcare (Toy Quest) - www.toyquest.com
Umbrella brand of environmentally friendly toys that encompasses plush, plastic and wood.
Plush - Two sizes. Made with 100% organic cotton and filled with recycled polyester.
Packaging is 100% recycled and printed with organically-based inks.
$9.99 - $14.99 Toys will be available at mass retail this fall.
Pull-Along Snail; Fire Engine (Plan Toys) - www.plantoys.com
PlanToys is considered the world's leading manufacturer of GREEN TOYS - they have been making eco-friendly toys since 1981.
Eco-friendly PlanToys, Inc., starts with 100% recycled rubber wood, is cured using a chemical-free, kiln-dry process, constructed using non-formaldehyde glue and finished with water-based colors.
Packed in a box made from recyclable paper, printed with recyclable soy ink.
age 3 + SRP: $65 age 1 1/2 + SRP: $19
Bamboo Rapelli (HaPe) - www.educo.com
Frst introduced in 2006 as part of HaPe's launch of Bamboo games, the only line of toys or games made of bamboo.
Notice the large cylindrical shape of the main piece - this is a piece of bamboo, a highly sustainable, renewal grass.
Bamboo grows as much as 40 feet as 5 years.
All components are colored with a water based stain and pass EN71 and ASTM standards.
Contents: 1 colored die, 1 action die, 18 caterpillars in 6 colors and 1 bamboo cylinder.
How to play: Pick your favorite color Caterpillar, roll the die and see what caterpillar you must move in or out of the tree trunk. The last one not to fall out is the winner.
For 2-6 players 4 +$29.95
For more information, go to www.toyassociation.org
-----ECO FRIENDLY PRODUCTS-----
With Earth Day right around the corner, we're celebrating this morning with a look at eco-friendly products for your home.
Joining us with examples is Victoria Pericon, "Green Blogger" and founder of savvymommy.com.
I. IN THE BEDROOM
Most bedding products are not eco-friendly and are made with chemical additives that are harmful to the environment. For a more natural alternative, opt for items made of the following:
Sleep Spa Natural Therapy Pillow by Kaymed
$99 per pillow for plush
- Natural latex in this pillow is from sustainable, renewable tropical rubber plantations
- Provides instant support and pressure relief to the head and neck
- Natural organic cover
- Goes with the Natural Therapy mattress (also by Kaymed) that's also made with natural latex to complete your bedding set
- Available where ever Kaymed is sold, or at 1-866-KAYMED-1
All Seasons Wool Duvet by Natura World
$200 for queen size
- Ideal for year round comfort, this comforter is filled with Smart Wool? which keeps you warm and also wicks away excess moisture
- Soft, unbleached 100% cotton cover is quilted to the fill to eliminate shifting or clumping of the wool
- Creates a fresh, dry sleep environment that repels common allergens
- Available a click away at www.ziasleep.com
II. KITCHEN WARE
Disposable plates and cutlery are a lifesaver for busy people like myself, but they can really wreak havoc on the environment. These brand new plates are a smart alternative to foam and plastic.
Trubamboo Disposable Bamboo Plates
$8 for an 8-pack of plates
- Brand new and just in time for picnic season - these single-use plates are a kinder alternative to foam or plastic plates
- Ideal for when you need the convenience of disposable plates. They are strong but also biodegrade.
- Made of 100% Renewable Panda Safe Bamboo
- Contains No Bleach or Dies
- FDA Approved food safe
- Available exclusively at Kitchen Couture in Brooklyn, 718-686-8200 and www.kitchencouture.net
At the end of a long day, there's nothing more calming than a warm bath and some aroma-therapy candles. Conventional candles are typically made with paraffin, a petroleum product, whose flame emits black soot into the air (ever notice a black ring on your glass candle jar?). A more eco-friendly alternative, just as soothing and luxurious, is a candle made of soy.
FreshWave Soy Candle
$14 for one candle that lasts 30 hours
- Many heavily scented candles simply mask household odors, but Fresh Wave® eliminates them!
- Want to change the aroma of a room from say lavender to another scent, light the Fresh Wave and you will have neutralize the room for the transition to the new scent
- Think of Fresh Wave as the sorbet of aromatherapy -- to eliminate the aroma of any room and "cleanse the palette," all you need to do is light the FreshWave Soy Candle
- Comes in a recyclable tin, lasts 30 hours
- Available a click away at www.ziasleep.com
For more information, go to www.savvymommy.com