Elderly man killed in house fire

November 12, 2009 7:37:42 AM PST
An elderly Hewlett man who was a heavy smoker died after apparently accidentally starting a fast moving fire in his home Thursday morning. Eyewitness News is told the 86-year-old man, who escaped the Nazis in Poland and later became a doctor, died in the blaze that tore through his Sutton Lane home.

The man was reportedly found in his second floor bedroom when firefighters put out the wind-whipped flames. They kept the flames from spreading to neighboring homes.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

Firefighters said he was known to be a careless smoker and are investigating whether he accidentally sparked the fire.

EMS workers were reportedly called to the house a month ago and noticed burn marks to furniture that indicated the man had accidentally set fires in the house before.

Neighbors said the victim was well known in the neighborhood. The man lived alone, and neighbors said they would help him with household chores.