Police: Former colleague kills Yale doctor at home

April 26, 2010 3:29:18 PM PDT
A gunman killed a Yale University doctor outside his Connecticut home. Witnesses describe a nightmare in broad daylight.

"Initially, a couple of quick shots and then a series of 4 or 5 more in rapid succession, and then a couple more. So it's clear that the individual had a mission," neighbor Rick Friswell said.

About 8:00 Monday morning, Dr. Vajinder Toor was walking to his car in the parking lot of his Branford, Connecticut condo complex when a gunman shot him at least 8 times.

Then, when his pregnant wife attempted to come to his aid, the suspect fired at her too. She was not hit.

Police now identify that suspect as 44-year old Lishan Wang, who was taken into custody during a traffic stop near the scene a short time later.

"There was enough citizen participation, enough eyewitnesses, they were able to give us a very excellent description of the offending person and the offending vehicle," Lt. Geoffrey Morgan of Branford Police said.

Dr. Tour was a post doctoral fellow at the Yale School of Medicine, but back in 2008 he worked at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center in East Flatbush, Brooklyn.

Investigators are looking into whether his killer may have worked there as well, and if that is where the two crossed paths.

A hospital employee told The Associated Press that Wang and Toor were involved in a confrontation a few years ago at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center after Wang left his post at the intensive care unit and was not reachable for a few hours. The employee said Toor reprimanded him and that Wang threatened Toor in front of other employees.

The employee spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing murder investigation.

"We're following a hypothesis that the victim and the assailant had some sort of negative interaction at a previous employer," Morgan said, adding that police do not expect to make additional arrests.

Wang filed a federal discrimination lawsuit last year against the hospital. He talks about a heated exchange with his supervisor in the hospital's residency program, "Dr. Vajinder," in May, 2008 after Vajinder accused him of ignoring pages and calls from hospital staff.

"An hour after this heated discussion, Dr. Vajinder then accused Dr. Wang of threatening his safety by using hostile body language, although he did not summon security to assist him," Wang's lawsuit states.

It is one of several allegations of anger and behavioral problems that Wang acknowledges he was cited for while in the program. In the lawsuit, he said he was unfairly labeled excitable, emotional and unable to control his anger.

Wang was suspended with pay on May 22, 2008, and notified by letter that the hospital had decided to propose firing him. He was told by the union that the hospital would only allow him to remain employed if he sought disability leave for mental impairment. He was fired in July.

Just last year, the Yale University campus was shaken by the murder of graduate student Annie Lee in her lab building.

The campus police chief sent an email to the university community on Monday assuring them that this crime was un-related to Yale.

Wang is being held on $2 million bond.