Video shows Shahzad meeting with Taliban leader

In this image taken from video, a police officer approaches the vehicle containing a car bomb, which stands with the door open and the police officer reaches down to lift one of the red canisters on the roadway at New York's Times Square, NY, U.S.A., Sunday, May 2, 2010. Police cleared the streets around Times Square when the vehicle was seen to be smoking late Saturday evening, before recovering un-detonated bomb components including cans of gasoline, tanks of propane, fireworks and other electrical equipment from the sport utility vehicle. ((AP Photo/APTV))

July 23, 2010 3:38:09 AM PDT
New video shows failed Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad meeting with the leader of the Pakistani Taliban sometime before the May 1 bombing attempt.

Following his arrest, Shahzad claimed he met with the leader and a host of other radical leaders.

During the video, Shahzad is heard vowing to wage an attack.

Calling himself a "Muslim soldier," Shahzad pleaded guilty June 21. During his plea hearing, the 30-year-old traced his plot to a 2009 trip to Pakistan, where he said he received explosives training and funding from the Pakistani Taliban for his one-man scheme.

He returned to the United States and loaded a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder with a fertilizer-fueled bomb packed in a gun cabinet, a set of propane tanks and gas canisters rigged with fireworks that he hoped would cause a chain-reaction explosion.

After parking the vehicle on a street near Broadway theaters and hotels, Shahzad said he lit a fuse that he expected would detonate the bomb within five minutes as he walked away. Instead, authorities say the bomb malfunctioned, emitting smoke that attracted the attention of a street vendor, who notified police.

Federal agents arrested Shahzad two days later as he attempted to flee the country on a Dubai-bound jetliner.

New York Police Department bomb experts later determined Shahzad had used a type of fertilizer that wasn't volatile enough to explode like the ammonium nitrate grade fertilizer used in previous terrorist bombings. Investigators believe Shahzad purposely "dumbed down" the bomb - using the less potent fertilizer and M88 firecrackers - to avoid detection.

He is set to be sentenced in October and could face life in prison.