Here are 7 things to know about drinking more water:
1. A CDC Study finds that 40 percent of Americans drink less than half the recommended amount of water daily.
2. However, there is not an official recommended daily amount. The CDC Study calls 4 cups a moderate amount.
3. The Institute of Medicine recommends letting thirst be your guide to how much water you should be drinking.
4. About 80 percent of total water intake comes from drinking water and beverages (including caffeinated ones), while 20 percent is derived from food, according to the Institute of Medicine.
5. Eating more fruits and vegetables is a simple way to add to your daily intake, as they are high in water content.
6. The Mayo Clinic recommends a glass of water (or other calorie-free or low-calorie beverage) with each meal, and between each meal.
7. Every system in the human body depends on water, according to the Mayo Clinict. It is essential that the body's water supply is replenished for these processes to function properly.