Community in mourning for children killed in freak radiator accident in the Bronx

Stacey Sager Image
Friday, December 9, 2016
Family mourning after children die from in radiator blast
Stacey Sager reports

HUNTS POINT, Bronx (WABC) -- Memories and belongings are all a Bronx family have left of their children after they perished in a freak radiator steam accident Wednesday.

Sisters Scylee Abrose, 1, and Ibanez Ambrose, 2, died when a faulty radiator unleashed hot steam on the girls while they napped.

"These are the baby's sweaters," said Annie Martinez, an upstairs neighbor.

Martinez said Danielle Ambrose, the children's mother, gave away most of the children's clothing Friday.

"She said you could have all their clothes," Martinez said, "Only us in the building, because we took good care of their kids."

While a memorial remains outside the family's apartment building on Hunts Point Avenue, tenants are questioning whether the new valves on their radiators are safe.

"They are only inspecting to see if there is heat and hot water," City Councilman Rafael Salamanca said. "They are not inspecting the radiators."

Salamanca said he's working with other elected officials on legislation requiring the Department of Homeless Services to inspect the radiators.