Buildings in Queens evacuated after manhole fire leads to elevated carbon monoxide levels

ELMHURST, Queens (WABC) -- Several buildings in Queens had to be evacuated due to elevated carbon monoxide levels.

Firefighters rushed to the scene at 45-19 74th Avenue around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday after smoke from a manhole fire caused elevated carbon monoxide levels in a nearby building.

According to Eyewitness News reporter Kemberly Richardson, it appeared there were sparking wires underneath the manhole, potentially caused by salt that was put down as a result of the weekend snowstorm.

FDNY officials say firefighters evacuated a building containing six apartments.

ALSO READ | NJ tow truck driver hailed as a hero after saving driver from crash
EMBED More News Videos

John Jay Tashjian was driving on the New Jersey Turnpike when he noticed a car that crashed and landed in tall grass just outside of Newark.



Several other buildings, including a laundromat across the street, also had to be evacuated.

The NYC Office of Emergency is on the scene.

They were contacted to provide buses as shelter for the evacuated individuals.

No injuries have been reported.


This is breaking news. This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

----------
* More Queens news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a News Tip
Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.