11 senior citizens hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in Newark

ByEyewitness News via WABC logo
Sunday, October 16, 2022
11 people hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in New Jersey
EMBED <>More Videos

Carbon monoxide poisoning sent 11 people to the hospital on Saturday in New Jersey.

NEWARK, New Jersey (WABC) -- Carbon monoxide poisoning sent 11 people to the hospital on Saturday in New Jersey.

They are all senior citizens and residents of the Stephen Crane Senior Elderly Apartments on Evergreen Lane which is run by the Newark Housing Authority.

Several of those that were treated passed out while others had less serious symptoms including shortness of breath.

Five victims were transported to University Hospital and six victims were taken to Clara Maas Medical Center.

Firefighters determined that carbon monoxide was being emitted from a furnace in the building and PSEG was called.

"These things tend to happen especially in the beginning of the heating season and we have all hands on deck. The city has been very helpful," Victor Cirilo from the Newark Housing Authority said. "We have all the rescources we need to make sure we are there for our senior residents."

All residents are expected to recover.

MORE NEWS: 1 person killed after shooting involving police in Inwood

----------

* Get Eyewitness News Delivered

* More New Jersey news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube