Transformer fire leads to high carbon monoxide readings, some Sheepshead Bay homes evacuated

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Thursday, March 9, 2023
Fire leads to high CO readings, homes evacuated in Sheepshead Bay
A fire led to high carbon monoxide readings, leading to the evacuation of homes in a Sheepshead Bay neighborhood.

SHEEPSHEAD BAY, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Some residents of a Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, block were temporarily evacuated from their homes.

An early morning transformer vault fire on Thursday sparked high carbon monoxide readings.

The underground fire happened at around 3:30 a.m. and left a block of Brigham Street without power. Con Edison says about 53 customers were affected.

The carbon monoxide levels began dropping in about a dozen homes evacuated a couple of hours later.

There is no word yet on when power will be fully restored.

ALSO READ | Teens ransack Queens restaurant, causing estimated $20k in damage

Police are searching for a large group of teens that ransacked a restaurant in College Point, Queens.


* More Brooklyn news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.