CENTRAL ISLIP, Suffolk County (WABC) -- A church community in Suffolk County is mourning the loss of their 150-year-old house of worship after fire destroyed the building early Sunday morning.
The multi-alarm blaze at the Episcopal Church of the Messiah on Carleton Avenue in Central Islip broke around 2 a.m.
Investigators say the flames erupted in the church's basement and quickly spread to the upper levels.
Video from the scene showed firefighters from seven different fire departments battling the smoky blaze from the roof and inside the structure before they got the situation under control.
No one was hurt, but the blaze caused "catastrophic damage from fire, heat and water," the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island said in a statement.
The Rt. Rev. Lawrence C. Provenzano, Bishop of Long Island, met with church members on the lawn Sunday to lead them in prayer and discuss next steps moving forward.
Boyd Coley hadn't heard about the fire until he arrived for Sunday morning worship service.
"I came dressed in a suit ready for service, and I saw everyone standing outside on the lawn not dressed," Coley told Eyewitness News. "I looked up and saw all the damage... could not believe it."
The congregation has faith in its future and plans to use another building on the site until they can rebuild.
The Suffolk County Arson Squad is investigating what sparked the blaze.
Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News