The New York City Department of Transportation said the FDR will be closed in both directions during select times between 61st Street and 96th Street through July 19.
The closure will allow construction crews to build an addition at The Rockefeller University, which is being built above the roadway.
Here's a look at the construction site:
The closure times vary, depending on the day. Here's the schedule:
- Wednesday June 15, Thursday June 16 and Friday June 17 from 12:30 a. m. to 4:30 a.m.
- Saturday, June 18 from 1 a.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Sunday, June 19 from 2 a.m. to 6:30 a.m.
During the full closure, traffic will be detoured as follows:
- Southbound traffic will exit at 96th Street, and use Second Avenue to 42nd Street to reenter the FDR drive
- During the closures the southbound entrance ramps at Third Avenue Bridge, RFK Bridge, 125th Street, 116th Street, 92nd Street, 79th Street and 73rd Street will be closed
- Northbound traffic will exit at 61st Street, be directed to First Avenue, and follow detour signs to 96th Street to re-enter the FDR drive
- During the closures the northbound entrance ramps at 34th, 42nd, and 62nd Streets will be closed
- The southbound FDR Drive 34th Street exit will be closed
- Before the closures go in one to two lanes will be closed between 11 p.m. and midnight
- All lanes will reopen by 5:30 a.m. on weekdays, 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, and 11:00 a.m. on Sunday
A single lane closure will be implemented on the FDR Drive (both directions) at around 11 p.m., then a double lane closure will be implemented around 11:30 p.m.
During this project, drivers should anticipate delays near the work zones.