Video from the Citizen App showed firefighters responding to the blaze early Friday morning on East 5th Street.
The victim was found unconscious and badly burned inside a 7th floor apartment filled with clutter.
Firefighters say the fire is not suspicious.
They are working to determine if an electrical condition related to an air conditioner may have sparked the blaze.
Officials said the 80-year-old victim appeared to be hoarder and had a large amount of clutter in her apartment.
Two firefighters sustained minor injuries battling the blaze.
The woman's cat was unaccounted for following the fire.
TRENDING: Dr. Oz helps save man who had no pulse at Newark airport
* Get Eyewitness News Delivered
* More Manhattan news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a News Tip