Mishandled rice sickens at least 28 people at Suffolk County restaurant

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Monday, September 11, 2023
Mishandled rice sickens at least 28 people
Over two dozen people were sick from mishandled rice at a restaurant in Suffolk County.

STONY BROOK, New York (WABC) -- More than two dozen people got sick from a likely food poisoning incident at a restaurant in Suffolk County.

It happened at "Kumo Sushi & Steakhouse" in Stony Brook on Saturday.

Of the 28 people sickened, 12 had to be taken to the hospital.

The County Health Department says the people were likely sickened by mishandled and improperly stored rice.

The department issued 15 violations to the restaurant including eight for foodborne illness risk factors.

ALSO READ | One Chip Challenge pulled from shelves after teen's death

The Paqui One Chip Challenge has been pulled from store shelves, as Massachusetts investigates a teen's death.


* More Long Island news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.