School resumes after New Jersey high school football player dies from injury during game

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Monday, September 28, 2015
Classmates of NJ athlete return to school
Toni Yates reports classes resumed Monday at the New Jersey school where a quarterback died from an injury sustained during a game.

WASHINGTON, N.J. (WABC) -- Students returned to class Monday at the New Jersey high school where a star quarterback died after suffering an injury on the field.

Warren Hills Regional High School quarterback Evan Murray, 17, died after being hurt in a game Friday night.

A statement from interim Superintendent Gary Bowen said the school community is "deeply saddened" by the death of Murray, a three-sport athlete who had been the football team's starting quarterback for three years.

Bowen said more than 30 grief counselors were available Monday to talk with students and staff. "The kids are doing wonderfully, we did have a great number come in a state of grief, an emotional state but we were fully prepared," said Bowen.

Bowen said the school is assessing the football schedule to decide whether to make any changes.

Murray's wake will be held Wednesday at Safe Discovery Church in Washington Township. The funeral will be held Thursday morning at the church.

Coaches, students and community members gathered at the school's football field on Saturday for a memorial. Teammates left flowers on the field.

The growing memorial included a note from Murray's girlfriend, saying "Losing you last night was the most devastating thing I have ever endured. I will love you forever."

People who attended the game said Murray walked off the field under his own power after taking a hit in the backfield, then apparently collapsed a short time later. Students attending the game said the senior quarterback appeared woozy after taking the sack.

He was taken to the hospital where he died.

A cause of death has not yet been determined.

Members of the school community said they were shocked by Murray's death.

"I can't comprehend what happened," said one parent.

"Someone you're gonna graduate with, someone you're gonna walk with and get your diploma. It's hard," said senior Crystal Galo.

"All around great kid. Sports, athletic, everyone cheers for him at football games, basketball games, just a really great kid," said senior Maggie Lynch.

A page has already been set up. It says Murray took a hit during the game that sent him to the hospital immediately. "Evan was always doing something to give back to his community. Please help us while we help the Murray family in their time of need. Donating anything with help!" it says.

As of Monday afternoon, the page had raised over $42,000.