Brooklyn singer charged with assault during anti-Trump protests in Manhattan speaks out

Saturday, November 12, 2016
Singer charged with assault during NYC anti-Trump protests speaks out
Carolina Leid has the story.

MIDTOWN, Manhattan (WABC) -- The lead singer of the Harlem Gospel Choir was arraigned Friday after being accused of assaulting a Donald Trump supporter during an anti-Trump demonstration in Manhattan Thursday night.

After spending eight hours in jail, 23-year-old Shacara Mclaurin faced a judge, accused of assaulting an elderly man during an argument over who won the presidency.

Like so many stories, this one has two drastically different versions.

"He's a Trump bully. He bullied her for four blocks calling her an N-word, a black beast, and he told her he was going to F-her up. My client did all she could do to get away from him. When she couldn't get away from him he shoved him on the shoulder," said Victoria Brown-Douglas, Mclaurin's defense attorney.

"She told police officer Gallagher, 'I will F-him up. I did push him I shoved him; I didn't think he would fall. I didn't think I pushed him hard enough for him to fall,'" the assistant DA said.

The accomplished singer says she just wrapped up a performance at the Plaza Hotel.

She was on her way home when she encountered the 74-year-old man, who she says mistook her for a protester, at Trump Tower.

"My character has definitely been tampered. People have been calling me all different kinds of names, picturing a story in the news that is definitely not me," Mclaurin said.

Mclaurin says the man followed and harassed her for four blocks.

Police say she shoved him, causing a gash to his head.

The Brooklyn woman was arrested and charged with felony and misdemeanor assault.

Eyewitness News interviewed Mclaurin five years ago after she was bullied and attacked by a group of classmates.

The incident sparked her anti-bullying campaign and foundation.

So to be accused of this was mind boggling to her.

"I had to spend numerous hours in a prison cell. It's not my lifestyle so it was really uncomfortable for me and it was a horrible experience. I cried, I cried, I was really hurt because I knew that the situation wasn't my fault," Mclaurin said.

Eyewitness News spent hours waiting at the alleged victim's home.

He could not be reached for comment.

Mclaurin is cleared to travel but must return to court in January.