Man allegedly seen shooting at cars in Texas, injuring 3

Video showed suspect wearing some sort of headgear, black underwear

KTRK logo
Monday, August 17, 2026 6:44PM
3 people injured as man with a rifle opens fire at random cars in northeast Houston, HPD says
A suspect accused of shooting at moving cars in northeast Houston was shot by police and is in the hospital, HPD says. Three people who were hurt are expected to be OK.

HOUSTON -- A 45-year-old armed suspect who was allegedly seen shooting at several cars in northeast Houston last week has now been charged, according to the Houston Police Department.

Records shown on Monday revealed that Demetri O'Neal Thomas has been charged with four counts of aggravated assault against a public servant and three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Thomas is accused of having an automatic weapon and shooting at moving cars and deputies on Friday afternoon, HPD said. Eyewitness video showed the suspect wearing some sort of headgear and wearing black underwear.

SEE ALSO: 16-year-old killed, 4 hurt in mass shooting at Kentucky park; teen in custody

He reportedly injured a mom and her daughter who were in the area driving and were able to reach Houston Fire Department Station 43 for help.
Another man in a separate vehicle was injured as well, police said.

Police added that all victims were checked out and were OK.

HPD said Thomas refused to comply with demands given by the officers on scene, leading to officers discharging their weapons and hitting the suspect. HPD said there were no officers injured.

He was taken to the hospital, where his condition was not immediately known. On Monday, additional court records showed that Thomas had been jailed for nine years back in 2012 for aggravated assault and kidnapping, but was paroled in 2015.

HPD, along with the Harris County Sheriff's Office, is investigating the incident.

Copyright © 2026 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.