Child among 5 hospitalized in Queens carbon monoxide incident

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Monday, December 20, 2021
Child among 5 hospitalized in Queens carbon monoxide incident
Nina Pineda has the details after 5 people were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning.

JAMAICA, Queens (WABC) -- Five people, including a child, were hospitalized after a carbon monoxide incident in Queens.

It happened around 1:30 p.m. on 198th Street and 115th Avenue in Jamaica.

Firefighters and FDNY responded to the scene, where they discovered elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the building and in neighboring buildings.

Investigators say there were no working carbon monoxide detectors throughout the entire house. The buildingwas also illegally subdivided and carved into separate units -- a deadly combination.

Neighbors two doors down fro the home fled, and say a number of children were put at risk, breathing in the colorless, odorless carbon monoxide.

"It's really scary... it was just a panic," said Justin Henderson.

First responders were originally called to the home after a resident lost consciousness. Paramedics treated five people and rushed them to Nassau County Medical Center.

Authorities say three of the patients are in critical condition.

MORE NEWS: NY reports record number of new COVID cases as holiday travel ramps up

The holiday travel rush has begun just as New York set a new single-day record for positive COVID cases, two days in a row.


* More Queens news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a News Tip