Suspect arrested, charged with murder in deadly beating of man in Brooklyn

WABC logo
Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Suspect arrested in deadly beating of man in Brooklyn
Philip Meyers was arrested and charged on Monday for the murder of 55-year-old John Sarquiz, who was brutally beaten in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn. Josh Einiger has the story.

DYKER HEIGHTS, Brooklyn (WABC) -- A man was arrested and charged with murder in the brutal and deadly unprovoked attack of a man in Brooklyn last month.

Philip Meyers, referred to as a "neighborhood bully" by NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig, was arrested and charged on Monday for the murder of 55-year-old John Sarquiz.

The 45-year-old Brooklyn resident is accused of brutally assaulting the victim on March 29, outside of a Brooklyn deli on 13th Avenue, during what police say was an unprovoked attack.

Video in the player above is from a previous report.

Sarquiz, who at age 55 gave up his career to take care of his ailing mother, took a walk to the market in Dyker Heights when the suspect jumped him with no warning at all and beat him to death.

RELATED | Family calls for justice after man dies from brutal beating

The family of John Sarquiz, who was found brutally beaten in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn, is calling for justice and the arrest of the suspect Phillip Meyers. Josh Einiger has more.

"He punches the victim from behind," NYPD Detective Bureau Chief James Essig said. "The suspect then kicks him multiple times in the head rendering him unconscious. He removes money from his wallet and then throws the wallet back onto our victim."

He would die in the hospital a few days later.

Police said Meyers is a repeat violent offender who's well known in the neighborhood, but for weeks after the murder, he was nowhere to be found as Sarquiz's family waited desperately for word.

"It's been really difficult for myself and my family, anywhere we went in the neighborhood it seemed any guy could be that guy, so it felt like we were always looking over our shoulder," the victim's sister Christine Sarquiz said.

Police believe Meyers was just laying low all this time, but on Monday, was spotted on the street near his home in nearby Bath Beach. The NYPD's Fugitive Squad was looking for him and quickly swooped in.

"We just want justice for John," the victim's sister Catherine Sarquiz said. "He shouldn't have been on the streets to begin with. Not after what he's done."

Police say Meyers, who also goes by the last name Mastrage, had already been arrested 17 times in his 45 years, including one time for murder. Now he's been arrested again, this time charged with murder and robbery.


* More Brooklyn news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.