Man wanted in 2022 robbery fatally shot by U.S. Marshals at hotel in NJ: law enforcement sources

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Thursday, January 25, 2024
Man wanted in 2022 church robbery shot and killed by police
Josh Einiger is in the newsroom with the latest.

SOUTH BRUNSWICK, New Jersey (WABC) -- A man wanted in connection with a 2022 robbery in Brooklyn was fatally shot by U.S. Marshals attempting to arrest him in New Jersey Wednesday.

Shamar Leggette, 41, was shot at the MHO Inn and Suites on Route 1 near Promenade Boulevard in South Brunswick after exchanging gunfire with officers.

Officials say members of the U.S. Marshals and the New York office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives attempted to execute an arrest warrant for the suspect in several felony offenses before a scuffle ensued around 2:45 p.m.

Leggette was shot by officers and pronounced dead around 4:30 p.m.

Law enforcement sources told Eyewitness News that Leggette was wanted for his connection in the robbery of Bishop Lamor Whitehead.

Bishop Whitehead was robbed at gunpoint in the middle of a livestreamed church service on July 24, 2022. He said three men waving guns stole hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of jewelry from him and his wife.

At the time, two suspects were quickly arrested and charged federally. Police released an image of the third suspect, Leggette, soon after, but he had remained at large for nearly a year and a half before he was fatally shot on Wednesday.

Leggette served two sentences in state prison for robbery, attempted murder and weapons possession and was released from Fishkill Correctional Facility six months before Bishop Whitehead was robbed.

"Now the third suspect is dead. What sense does that make? It's so senseless, you know, it's so senseless," Bishop Whitehead said.

In a livestream Wednesday night, Whitehead, who himself has since been federally indicted for bank fraud, spoke about the lasting trauma of the violent crime he and his family endured.

"This was the guy that put the gun in my wife's face and put the gun in my 8-month-old daughter's face, and he came put the gun to my head and he ripped my clergy collar off and ripped my chains off and he was just brutal," he said.

The Attorney General's Office as well as New Jersey state police are investigating the fatal shooting.

Fortunately, no officers were injured during the shooting. Authorities recovered two firearms near the suspect.

A woman in the hotel room was taken out without incident and was not injured, law enforcement sources say.

Even though the shooting occurred in South Brunswick, it did not involve South Brunswick police officers, a source confirmed. Additionally, the NYPD is not involved with the investigation at this time.

ALSO READ | Woman in custody after body parts found in fridge inside Flatbush apartment

Jim Dolan is in Flatbush with the story.


* Get Eyewitness News Delivered

* More New Jersey news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.