Spring Valley High School officials sent a letter to parents that they were notified Tuesday of potential hazardous materials in specific classrooms.
"We have determined it is not feasible to run the in-person instructional program and concurrently investigate and develop a plan to address this immediate concern," the letter read. "At the advice of the District's Architect & Engineering firm, and out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to shift students at Spring Valley High School to remote instruction for the remainder of the week."
ALSO READ | Coroner says Gabby Petito died by strangulation
Officials say the problem is black mold, which must be remediated, but the extent of the necessary repairs is unclear.
A hole in the roof and faulty caulking are the likely causes of the mold, but the district says there have been no reports of students being sickened.
Exposure to mold can cause respiratory problems.
During the building's closure, investigators will assess the scope and nature of the material and determine the most effective and safest mitigation measures.
As a result, PSATs and SATs will be rescheduled.
Further guidance is forthcoming related to meal distribution, co-curricular activities, and athletic events.
MORE NEWS | Name that pooch: New York Islanders adopt 3rd 'Puppy with a Purpose'
* More Northern Suburbs news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a News Tip