Ex-boyfriend charged in murder of Upper East Side mom

ByEyewitness News WABC logo
Saturday, July 2, 2022
Ex-boyfriend charged in young mother's murder on Upper East Side
A suspect is under arrest in the murder of Aszia Johnson, 20, who was pushing a three-month-old in a stroller on the Upper East Side. Josh Einiger has the latest developments.

UPPER EAST SIDE, Manhattan (WABC) -- A suspect is under arrest in the murder of Aszia Johnson, 20, who was pushing a three-month-old in a stroller on the Upper East Side.

Isaac Argro, 22, has been arrested and charged with murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

The shooting happened on Lexington Avenue and East 95th Street around 8:25 p.m. Wednesday.

Police say Johnson was pushing her three-month-old in a stroller when a man wearing all black, a hooded sweatshirt, and sweatpants walked up from behind and shot her in the head at point-blank range, close enough to leave burn marks on her face.

She was hit on the left side of her face, between her ear and cheek. The bullet exited her head on the left side of her face, below her left ear. Police recovered the round from a nearby car and the shell casing from the street.

Police souces say Argro is the father of the three-month-old who was in the stroller. Detectives have evidence, including video evidence, putting him at the scene both before and after the murder.

Mayor Eric Adams released a statement on Friday after Argro's arrest, saying,

"Azsia Johnson's family is hurting, they deserve justice, and we will deliver it.

"I am relieved to report to New Yorkers that we have captured the individual who we believe murdered this young woman as she walked with her baby. I'd like to applaud the NYPD for their valiant efforts to track down this alleged killer.

"All New Yorkers stand with the Johnson family in this difficult time."

A 10-year-old who witnessed the murder told Eyewitness News it was a single gunshot.

"I just heard a huge noise, it was just one, but it was extremely loud, like, 'boom,'" the child said. "I seen a lot of people running, and then I saw a few people. I saw a woman down there, she fell. And at first I thought, 'Is she OK?' And then I saw people calling 911 and cops pull up."

Johnson was taken to Metropolitan Hospital, where she died about an hour later.

Police say the baby was also rushed to the hospital but was unharmed.

"Azsia was a good person, and she ain't deserve that," Paulin said. "Some people are out there, not Azsia."

ALSO READ | Husband says wife is 'scared' after brutal subway attack in Queens

The husband of Rosa Chocho spoke exclusively with Eyewitness News reporter Lucy Yang after a brutal subway attack in Queens left his wife with a broken jaw.


* Get Eyewitness News Delivered

* More Manhattan news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.