Residents displaced following 4-alarm fire in Fordham Heights section of the Bronx

ByChantee Lans WABC logo
Saturday, January 8, 2022
Residents displaced following 4-alarm fire in the Bronx
Dozens of residents were out in the cold early Saturday after a fire tore through a building in the Bronx.

FORDHAM HEIGHTS, the Bronx (WABC) -- A lithium-ion battery sparked an early morning fire that left dozens of residents out in the cold early Saturday.

Flames broke out in a restaurant on the first floor of the building on Grand Concourse just after 2 a.m.

Video showed the flames reaching the roof of the four story building.

Firefighters brought the fire under control just after 5 a.m.

One firefighters was hurt, but they extent of their injuries is not yet clear.

The Red Cross said it provided assistance to three families that displaced by the fire, including seven adults and three children.

FDNY Fire Marshals determined the fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery from an e-bike or electric scooter.

It's the latest fire in an alarming trend brought to light last month when two teens were seen on video climbing out of their East Village building from the 4th floor and sliding down an exterior pole.

Multiple electric bicycles were found in that apartment, and fire marshals determined a lithium-ion battery sparked the fire.

"Last year we had 44 fires and no deaths, this year we have had 93 fires, more than 70 injuries and now four deaths caused by lithium-ion battery fires," Nigro said.

ALSO READ | New Jersey motel's generosity leads to social media fame

Kemberly Richardson has more on the no-nonsense motel in New Jersey that has garnered some unexpected social media fame for offering people down on their luck a free place to stay.


* More Bronx news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a News Tip