STAFFORD TOWNSHIP, New Jersey (WABC) -- A man has died after he suffered severe burns in an early morning house explosion in Stafford Township, New Jersey, police said.
According to Stafford Township police, officers responded to 253 Neptune Drive early Tuesday morning for a report of a large explosion and structure fire.
Officers started treating the man for his injures on the front lawn of the home before he was airlifted to Temple University Hospital.
The victim, who was later identified as 45-year-old homeowner Kevin Thomas, died at the hospital.
The surrounding homes were evacuated until the scene was deemed safe.
It appears the origin of the explosion was in the southwest corner of the bedroom and the cause was the release of propane from a tank to an open flame.
The scene is currently under a joint investigation with the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.