Neighbor Tashana Small says she felt helpless as her closest friends, the Cajamarca family, lost everything on the night of July 4.
She told Eyewitness News two brothers and their families who lived on Thorne Street in Patchogue, a total of eight people, are now without the home they lived in for more than a decade.
Their family dog, Shayla, was killed in the blaze.
ALSO READ | Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Matiss Kivlenieks dies of chest trauma from fireworks blast
Video posted on social media appears to show illegal fireworks being set off on the block and is now being looked at by investigators.
A shrub adjacent to the family's home went up in flames first and quickly spread.
In fact, if it wasn't for 18-year-old Christopher Cajamarca, who woke his family when he felt the heat, it could've been far worse.
"He ran and got his parents," Small said. "And thank God they were able to get out of the house."
Cousin Edwin Cajamarca said that thankfully, half of the family had gone out to a carnival.
"Before they left, everything was good, calm, nothing crazy," he said. "But then, the fireworks started, the whole house ended up on fire."
The investigation is ongoing, but so far, no arrests have been made.
ALSO READ | 1 killed, 2 injured in shooting at Long Island party
The dangers of illegal fireworks are highlighted every year around the Fourth of July, but even now, well after the holiday, people are still reporting them going off in their neighborhoods.
"Finally, they got a good landlord that fixed everything for them," Small said. "They were very happy, and now this."
* More Long Island news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube